February 25, 2015   Posted by: Wouter Vermeersch

2015 Forecast Part 3: PV Technology

In 2014, traditional poly and mono crystalline panelscontributed more than 90% of the market. The remaining market share of 10% consists out of different types of thin film modules. However, with the worldwide PV industry set to double over the next 4 years, there are many opportunities for new technologies. Over the next 5 years, efficiency of both silicon and thin-film panels will improve. This will mainly be driven by tier-1 players, but will also be heavily influenced by disruptive silicon, cell and wafer innovations.
Poly has reached its limits in improvement. Therefore, in 2015, mono will become the focal point for efficiency increase. The use of Passivated Emitter Rear Cell (PERC) technology, large-sized wafers and 4 busbar’s will increase, in order to obtain better performance. Global supply of high-efficiency cells might be short of demand in 2015. As mainstream PV systems are expected to continue to shift from ground-mounted installations to rooftop systems in Europe, the US, Japan and China and solar cells used in these rooftop installations require high energy conversion rates.
__________
In 2014 maakten traditionele poly en mono kristallijne panelen meer dan 90% van de markt uit. Het resterende marktaandeel van 10% bestaat uit verschillende soortendunne film modules. Echter, gezien de wereldwijde PV-industrie verwacht wordt om in de komende 4 jaar te verdubbelen, zijn er veel kansen voor nieuwe technologieën. In de komende 5 jaar, zal de efficiëntie van zowel silicium als dunne-film panelen verbeteren. Dit zal vooral worden gedreven door tier-1 spelers, maar zal ook sterk worden beïnvloed door baanbrekende silicium-, cel- en waferinnovaties.
Poly heeft zijn grenzen inzake verbetering bereikt. Daarom zal mono, in 2015, een belangrijk rol spelen in efficiëntie verhogingen. Het gebruik van Passivated Emitter Rear Cell (PERC) technologie, grotere wafers en 4-busbars zal stijgen om betere prestaties te verkrijgen. Het wereldwijde aanbod van high-efficiency cellen zou in 2015 wel eens lager kunnen liggen dan de vraag. Dit omdat in Europa, de VS, Japan en China  de meest voorkomende PV-systemen niet langer grond-gemonteerde installaties zullen zijn, maar eerder installaties op het dak en de zonnecellen die in deze dak-systemen worden gebruikt een hoge energie-conversie vereisen.